dltv 204 episode
Run time 41:06Producer pcmagAudio/Visual sound, colorLanguage English
FreeNAS-DIY NAS Device, Loyd Finishes His PC Build, Must Have Games this Holiday Season, and More!
What's new in Episode 204
• Anders, a viewer from the far north, Sweden to be exact, suggested that his nation hosts the largest LAN party in the form of Dreamhack. So check it out if you interested in seeing what the world's largest computer gathering looks like.
• DIY Network Attached Storage. If you got roll your own hardware/software solution for your network storage needs check out FreeNAS, an open source FreeBSD based NAS software. All you need to do is burn out the image and install (use the embedded option). All access is via a web browser and SMB as well as AFP sharing is included along with traditional services like FTP.
• If you need to buy a video gaming enthusiast a title this year watch EGM's Shane Bettenhausen cover all the must have titles coming out this holiday season.
• Loyd Case finishes his Build a PC segment with the final bits plugged in, screwed on and closed up.
• If you're planning to road trip this holiday season you'll definitely need to have an iPod with you. But without a serious upgrade to your cars stereo system how do you get tunes from the iPod to your car's speakers? If you've got a cassette deck in your car stereo pick up a cassette to stereo headphone jack adapter. If you're uber sophisticated sound system lacks a cassette deck your 2nd option is an iPod FM transmitter from a number of companies including but not limited to Griffin Technology, Kensington, and Newer Technologies.
• Tim sent us a video question asking for a TV tuner recommendation for his HD monitor that lacks a built-in tuner. Robert pointed out this interesting digital tuner from LG that incorporates a DVD recorder as well as a QAM tuner for compatibility with unscrambled cable channels the DR787T ($230 street). If you don't need an integrated DVD recorder and want to save some cash, the Samsung DTB-H260F ($160 street), is a compact tuner that has also received high marks . And the good folks at AVS Forum have a section dedicated to HDTV Reception Hardware .
• Got a Question? A tip? A product you're curious about Email us at email@example.com